In my final production challenge, I turned my 'cult classic' bag into a reality. For more information on the inspiration behind my signature accessory, see my previous post.
I began constructing the black leather body of the bag and the straps using the measurements from my mockup. This was the easiest part of the production process because I was able to use my sewing machine. Next, I began cutting my grey leather panels and sewing them to the body of the bag. I discovered that I would have to individually hand sew the panels, which increased my labor time exponentially. Finally, I cut and attached the letters, which I also had to hand sew.
However, part of this final assignment was working with the constraint of using a striped fabric. I incorporated stripes by creating a stripe pattern on the grey panels using marker and a ruler.
After finishing my sample, I recalculated the cost of the bag, factoring in the increased labor time: a huge shift from 5 to 12 hours of work. Because of this, the cost of my product jumped from about $75 to $160 (see the cost grid at right). I was disappointed in the increase in price, because I wanted the bag to be little more affordable. However, after come consideration, I decided that the price matched the quality of the technique used, and that I wouldn't want to sacrifice the integrity of my bag to lower the price.
Overall, I'm so excited about how my sample turned out! I really liked the way the letters and stitching wasn't flawless, and I think it adds to the character of the bag and aligns it with its sources of inspiration. I absolutely love the final result, and I'm proud of myself because of the way I pushed myself in terms of both skill and work ethic. I can't wait to continue turning my ideas into tangible products. More to come soon!